Most people at some time or another experience the excruciating pain of muscle spasms or leg cramps, especially at night time. If you have muscle spasms in legs, following home remedies can provide you relief:
Home Remedies for Muscle Spasms in Legs
1. Stay Hydrated: Dehydration is one of the most common causes of muscle spasms in legs. Drink plenty of fluids and oral re-hydration solutions such as electrolyte loss.
2. Stretch and Massage: Stretch the affected area slowly and gently as it strengthen the muscles and help loosen the tensed muscles. Yoga and Pilates are also great. You can also lightly massage the affected area with your hands using a soothing balm.
3. Healthy Diet: Make sure that your diet is well balanced with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. Muscle Spasms often happens due calcium and magnesium deficiency, so eat high-calcium foods such as skim milk, yoghurt and ricotta cheese. Before taking calcium rich diet, consult with a doctor or nutritionist for the appropriate dosage.
4. Potassium: In most cases, it is observed that simply eating plenty of potassium rich foods has helped reduce and clear away the problem altogether. You can find good source of potassium in:
• Dates, bananas, grapes, raisins and apricots.
• Cabbage, pulses and broccoli.
• Tomatoes, oranges and grapefruit.
• Lamb, pork and fish like tuna.
• Corn and potatoes.
5. Hot Shower: A warm bath or hot shower also provides considerable relief.
6. Apply Heat or Cold Pack: Use a cold pack to relax tense muscles. Alternatively, you can use a heating pad or warm towel or heating pad later if you have tenderness or pain, as it helps in promoting blood circulation to the muscles.
7. Take Enough Sleep and Rest: Make sure that you taking enough sleep, as it helps in relaxing your mind and body. Deep breathing is also an effective method to relax your mind.
8. Pickle Juice and Mustard: Pickle Juice and Mustard have acetic acid that will help to produce acetyl-choline, a stimulant for the leg muscles. Take few ounces (grams) of pickle juice or a spoonful (15 ml) of mustard to prevent muscle spasms or leg cramps. You can also take apple cider vinegar which is rich in potassium. Mix two teaspoons (10 ml) of vinegar and one teaspoon (5 ml) of honey in a glass of warm water and drink this mixture.
9. Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea helps in relieving muscle spasms. It contains, glycine, an amino acid which helps in relaxing the tense muscles. Magnesium deficiency is usually caused due to renal disease, alcohol and diabetes mellitus.
10. Herbal Oil Massage: Herbal massage oil contains one cup (237 ml) of almond oil or extra-virgin and herbs in tincture form such as 1 ounce (28.3 g) of cramp bark, ½ ounce (14.2 g) of lobelia and 1¼ ounce (35.4 g) of wintergreen or willow bark. You can store this massage oil in a vessel or jar and apply it on the tensed muscles.
The aforementioned home remedies are very useful and effective to overcome muscle spasms in legs. However, if you still experience muscle spasms, then you must consult your physician or doctor immediately for further treatment.